10.03.2008

We're in love . . .

Wow.  I knew that I (we) were eagerly anticipating Braden's arrival, but had no idea how amazing it would be - and how completely you can fall in love with someone you just met!  I just can't get enough of our little guy!  

It has been a whirlwind 24 hours - in fact 24 hours ago I was laboring (still blissfully on an epidural) . . . I labored for about 12 hours (from when my water broke at my OB appt until it became evident that my efforts were no longer fruitful and my poor uterus was exhausted/probably had an infection) and then we made the decision to go for the c-section.  

As of this morning I was pretty sure that I would be in pain forever (the pain from the surgery was much much worse than labor - laboring with an epidural, that is), and I was just exhausted mentally and physically - and very frustrated with my inability to move without terrible pain.  In fact, I didn't even get to hold Braden until this morning at 9ish, because I was just so miserable and sore that frankly, I could not even think of caring for a baby (talk about some serious mommy guilt feelings!) . . . this was not what I had envisioned or expected for our first precious hours as a new family, and I HATED it.  Luckily Billy has been a fabulous dad - he has done several feedings, changed diapers, and also been caring for me (I have yet to change a diaper!)  What a guy!!  

Today I/we spent much of our time trying to catch some sleep - Billy actually has gone home for the night to get some REAL sleep, and I am here recovering.  I am praising God and am amazed by how much better I am feeling tonight, vs. even a few hours ago.  The pain is much better (gotta love percocet (sp?)!), and early this evening I am very happy to be walking around, getting in and out of bed, and just generally moving around with sooooo much more ease.  This morning I couldn't imagine feeling able to even walk on my own without severe pain, so thank you Lord for the wonderful progress.  

I can't wait for tomorrow - I am wanting to make up for those lost "snuggle time" minutes from today and have Braden in my arms all day long!  We'll try feedings too, so that will be exciting. For now I am relying on the care of the wonderful nurses to take care of Braden for the evening so that I can continue to rest (the meds make me very sleepy) and recuperate.  I am not confident enough in my body right now to be able to pick him up if he is crying/in need of care in the middle of the night, so he is sleeping soundly in the nursery. 

Well, I am going to call it a night early tonight (since last night was never ending!), and rest up for a fun day of getting to know our little guy tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers and well-wishes!  We can't wait for all of you to meet Braden - you'll be in love with him too! :)

2 comments:

Aubree said...

Congratulations Jill and Billy! Braden looks adorable. I'm just so sad that I can't be there to see him in person!
Jill, I cannot believe you had to go through so much labor!!!! Poor girl! But the worst is over now and I'm sure all of the trouble was worth it by looking at the pictures!
I am thinking of all 3 of you and I look forward to June when I will see the growing Hartsock family in person!
Love you all!
Aubree

The Hartsocks said...

Hey aub - It is all so very worth it! wish you were here, but I have a feeling june will roll around quickly! Love you too - Jill, Billy, and Braden