10.07.2008

Trading Spaces

We ended up having to move out of our room in the mother/baby unit
to a room in the peds unit.  I am officially no longer a patient, but until Braden's labs are clear, he will need to stay.   I must say, it is wonderful that the hospital lets mom and dads stay with their child, and we are grateful to have a room in which we can stay with Braden.   

BUT, I did not think it would be as hard as it was to leave our room in M/B unit.  The nurses there were SO  kind and helpful and went out of their way to be of assistance to us . . . when we found out that there was just going to be "no room in the  inn" (lots of new babies being born!), we packed up and left our comfy room.  When we arrived at peds, we settled into our new digs (a perfectly fine room, except it had no rocking chair for feedings, and the bed is a pull out vinyl couch) . .  and I burst into tears (can we say hormones??). I just wanted to be back in our familiar room with the caring nurses that I have grown to love.    Poor Billy (now dealing with a distraught wife) was great and talked to the nurses, (who are also very kind here) and they switched the regular chair with a rocking chair/recliner like I was used to in our old room.  

 Here are some pics I had taken earlier of our room (not because I knew I'd miss it so much, but because I loved it there and that is where we spent our first precious days with Braden):


Ok, so enough about rooms.  The important thing is that Braden continues to do well, and we are still in a great place receiving great care for him.  The only concern we have right now is that he needs to poop (is that too much to tell on a blog?) . . . I still have not produced enough milk to breastfeed, so he has been supplementing with formula.  We feed him using a syringe while he sucks on one of my/whoever is feeding him's fingers.  This is supposed to cause less "nipple confusion" and also teach him that he has to suck hard to get food (you don't give him formula from the syringe unless he is sucking).  It is not uncommon for formula fed babies to go longer without pooping, but we think maybe he is constipated from the formula.  So he is now eating breastmilk from the breastmilk bank (did you know they have those??) and we are hoping that will help.  

Here's some pictures of our little guy from today:

Braden has found his fingers - and loves to have his hands up by his face.  He did this all the time during ultra sounds too - we had a hard time getting good profile ultra sound pics because he always had his hands waving around his face. (On a side note, isn't this onesie cute?!   At the University they have tons of baby clothes that they dress babies in so you don't have to bring/use your own . . .  so it was always a surprise to see what new outfits he would be dressed in when he came back from getting meds, or what new clothes they would bring to our room for him to use for the day.)





He sleeps like his daddy - both arms up above his head. :)



Tonight we had some visitors which helped cheer me up after the move, and now he's sleeping soundly.  Thanks for your continued prayers - we are getting excited about going home in the next couple of days! (By Friday for sure, but I have heard a few rumblings about maybe going home on Thursday!)

No comments: