3.09.2012

one week

A week ago today, I was in the Labor and Delivery OR, anxiously awaiting the arrival of Elise . . . at about this time (11:25am), I had gotten my (ouchie!) spinal, and they were checking to see if I was able to feel anything.  Sometime in the next 10 minutes or so, my blood pressure tanked due to the meds, and I heard Dr. Maassen say something like, Let's go - it's time to cut and and get this baby out . . . I learned later they were afraid her BP had dropped too (but really things were ok).  

I can hardly believe it has been a week since those moments . . . and yet it feels like we've had our sweet Elise at home forever.  

Elise - 1 week
 


Things are going well, although Braden continues to adjust to his new world.  Sometimes he is sweet as pie, and the next minute he may very well have a meltdown.  We are trying to spend time with him, and Billy has been great about doing something special with him daily (going to the library, playing outside, etc.).  I have tried to reserve some Mommy/Braden snuggle time too.  We'll make it . . . but I am already sort of dreading the day Billy goes back to work.  We do plan, however, for B to head back to daycare at least 2 days/week, which I think will help. I am sure he misses that routine (in fact he asked if he could go to Michelle's today!  She's been on vacation most of last week and all of this week, so it's been awhile since he has really had a "normal" day).

Thanks for the kind and helpful comments . . . it is good to be reminded that lots of people have been through the challenges of breastfeeding.  I am still kind of torn -- bottle feeding is sooooo much easier, but I am not quite ready to completely give up bf.  I started taking an herbal supplement, and have noticed an increase in my supply.  I am pumping several times a day, and am able to get more than I had.  I'd say 1 in every 4 bottles is breastmilk now.  I am not sure that I even want to get to the point where we totally bf -- it is great to have Billy help out with feedings, and I like the freedom that a formula bottle allows.  I guess we'll keep doing what we're doing as long as it's working.

Completely unrelated:

Have you seen all of the balancing broom pictures on FB lately?  Some claim that it has to do with the spring equinox, but snopes says it is possible to balance a broom any day of the year.  (I want to try it again in a few weeks to see if that's true.)  Nevertheless, we were able to balance a broom very easily (which makes me think that there has to be something to the equinox theory).  B thought it was pretty cool, but was just as pleased when I let him actually use the broom to sweep. :)







1 comment:

Beth said...

a broom that makes a boy want to clean; now that's a magic broom!