Whew. December 31st. The end of the year. How did that happen already? To be honest, I typically feel a little (okay, more than a little) melancholy at this time of year. I think the build up to Christmas is sooooo exciting, and then all the festivities come crashing to a sudden halt. . . and there's the aftermath to deal with: finding homes for new toys/gadgets/etc., decorations to take down (I detest this job!), and the house is always in need of a big old cleaning blitz.
And I just don't feel like it.
I love the Christmas tree with its soft flickering lights, the coziness that the holiday decor adds to our home, and am just not quite ready to let it go. I am also not ready to let go of these lazy vacation days (well, somewhat lazy, now that we're done with Christmas celebrations - but let's face it, it's kind of hard to be lazy at this stage of life with small kids). As I've said before, I do love my job most of the time, but, man is it hard to go back after vacations.
Even though my days are not as lazy as I'd like (someone is always hungry/needing something), and I haven't gotten to do much of my typical favorite vacation activities (shopping, movie watching, reading, dining out with friends), I have enjoyed being home with our kiddos. It's definitely not relaxing, but it is sooooo good to spend extra time with them. Though E still isn't sleeping great at night (but is doing wayyyyy better than she was prior to cutting teeth), both my kids are great at sleeping in and love to snuggle. Most mornings we all end up in the big bed snoozing till at least 9. Heaven, I tell you. There is just nothing better than being snuggled up together all warm and cozy and holding their sweet little selves close. B loves to hold hands in his sleep, and E buries her soft sweet head into my neck. It's pure bliss, and I try to soak in every moment.
So these vacation days are ticking by . . . and I am bummed out by the thought of having to "undecorate" the house. Puts me in a funk (just ask Billy). To make myself feel better, I have been kind of creating a list of fun things to look forward to doing in 2013. (That, and a list of fun things to do on Wednesday - my last day off and the only day of my break that the kids' daycare is open - I am hoping for a morning of shopping (kid/hubby free!) to check out sales, lunch and a movie matinee with a friend, and a relaxing last evening at home).
So here's The 2013 happy/bucket list - I am sure I will add to it, but here are a few things I've been thinking about to look forward to:
• Take the kids sledding when it's a little warmer (E got a new sled and we have to use it!)
• E's first b-day party (this is actually quite sad for me - can not believe she's almost a whole year old already!) But I love to plan for a party and am excited to pick a "theme" and get everything ready for her big day.
• Exercise. Yep, just that. I have gotten out of any sort of routine or habit (it's likely quite obvious), and plan to change that.
• Valentines' Day festivities - not sure what yet, but B is old enough to get excited about holidays and so I want to do something fun. I also want to do some decorating - last year I did more seasonal decorating (on top of Christmas decor) and it was fun. I have a few pinterest ideas that I am tossing around . . .
• Pinterest party - speaking of pinterest, I want to have a pinterest party.
• Favorite things party - this is another gathering idea I saw on the interwebs and would like to do.
• Entertain - in addition to having the above parties, Billy and I both agree that we need to be better about inviting people over - not necessarily for a fancy dinner party, but just to host casual game/movie nights. I love to have people over , but we sometimes tend to just hibernate in our cozy space - esp in the winter time, but want to connect more with others. We have found this to be harder with kiddos.
• Landscape/yard work - we want to pull out an overgrown/dead bush and plant something new, and have more work to do to tidy up some of the bed around the house. Also want to divide/transplant more hosta to the part of the yard where grass won't grow, and to over seed/fill in the bare spots where grass will grow. I must be getting old, because I really am starting to enjoy this sort of yard work, and look forward to trips to the greenhouse in the spring to purchase colorful flowers to plant.
Well, I hear Little Miss waking up from her nap - so maybe this list will just be a winter/spring version, and I'll have to come up with some summer/fall ideas later. For now I will snuggle with my little one and work on Mt. Laundry until Billy gets home . . . then he and I plan to ring in the new year with a date night - dinner and a movie (we'll probably actually be home and in bed by midnight - he's got to work tomorrow morning, and I hear that our babysitter gave us a 10pm curfew). :)
Happy New Year, and I hope 2013 is the best yet!
No comments:
Post a Comment