The past couple of days have been filled with holiday preparations!
We made goodie plates to take to neighbors . . .
. . . and attempted to take a picture of the kiddos in their Christmas duds on Sunday morning (didn't go quite as planned - here's what we ended up with) . . .
We also stopped (finally!) to visit Santa yesterday. Braden wrote a letter to give to him, since he has a track record of getting very shy when seeing the big guy. I had it all planned - we specifically went to visit Santa at Sycamore Mall, because in the past it's typically much less busy there (no waiting in a forever long line!), and they've also allowed visitors to take photos without having to purchase. Well, this year they changed things up on me . . . we still didn't have to wait long in line, but they wouldn't allow us to take a picture with our own camera - you had to buy pictures. I knew B would not take a good pic (he never wants to sit on Santa's lap), but I wanted to record Elise's first visit with Santa. However, I didn't want to buy just a pic of E and not B (that didn't seem right), but also didn't want to spend money on TWO Santa pics that may or may not turn out well. SO - we ended up taking a family picture with Santa (per the photographer's idea), which ended up being a great way to have both kids in the photo (Braden was ok with it since he got to sit with Daddy). It's not the best picture ever, but it turned out kind of cute. . .

Of course Braden was much more willing to smile when playing in the car toys at the mall after the Santa visit . . .
So now, here we go! It's Christmas Eve, and most all the preparations are complete, and excitement is in the air. We've actually already had one family gathering this morning, are are resting up for the next one tonight. Though I love all of the gatherings (and it certainly wouldn't seem like Christmas without getting together with family), sometimes in the rush to be here and then there I sort of feel like there's not time to enjoy all the festivities, or to focus on the real meaning of Christmas.
This year I am intentionally trying to slow down (starting today!), and soak it all in. (In fact right now E is napping, and the boys and I are curled up watching a Christmas movie and enjoying a fire in the fireplace.) I am excited to bake a birthday cake for Jesus later this afternoon with Braden (we thought that would be a very tangible (and yummy!) way for help him remember what all of the celebrating is really about), and I'm also looking forward to reading the Christmas story together as a family tonight before bedtime. We have done this in past years, but I think this year B will really "get it." And then of course we'll set out cookies and milk for Santa and tell our elf Rugby goodbye too. :)
Merry Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment