On Monday of last week, I noticed that B had a bit of a cough at bedtime - nothing big, but I recall noticing it. However, he seemed to be feeling fine/playing and smiling as usual, and was ok at daycare. But by late Tuesday evening, he sounded like a seal. The cough had developed into a bark, and Billy and I lay awake much of the night listening to/for Braden, and comforting him when he coughed so much that he woke himself up and let out the saddest, most pitiful hoarse cry. Poor sweet baby . . .
Wednesday morning Billy took him to the Doctor, and it was croup. :( They picked up a prescription, and spent the day resting at home. When I got home from work, they were both sleeping soundly (wish I could have joined them - I was dragging from lying awake much of the night before). When they woke up, B was ready to play, and seemed to have perked up. Since Thursday and Friday are Billy's days off, Braden spent the next couple of days at home recouping with his Daddy.
On Friday he was his happy self, so we took him to the Fall Festival for the first time. Braden is a fan of the fritter! (Apple fritters, for readers not from Kalona). We (Billy and I - Braden ate at home and just tried a bite here and there) ate our way around the festival (waffle with ice cream and strawberries, cheesesteak sandwich, pretzel wrapped smokies, home made onion rings, home made ice cream, carmello . . . one has to share tastes of lots of items so that you get to try more goodies - yum!).
When we got home, B was still in a good mood, but when we cuddled up with him at bedtime, we noticed he was hot - really hot. We took his temp and discovered it was quite high, so called the Mercy on Call nurse. She said give him Tylenol and undress him to cool him down, and to monitor his temp. The nurse also paged the doctor on call, who called us and said that a high temp can be common for children recovering from croup. Though the cough starts to go away, kids can run a temp for several days after. Luckily his temp did go down quickly, but we kept him on Tylenol so that it wouldn't spike back up. It was a little scary - with all the H1N1 hype going on, we kept thinking of the stories you hear of small children who have cold symptoms/fevers, then end up in the hospital/super sick. Thankfully by morning Braden was again peppy and happy, and temp free!
So - late in the morning Braden and I joined Grandma H. and cousins Addie and Aidan for round 2 at the Fall Festival!
B had fun exploring the kids' area . . .
. . . and really liked playing in the corn (sort of like a sandbox, but a corn box, well, cylindar). Can you find him?




We spent Saturday afternoon/evening at home resting and relaxing . . . and cheering the Hawkeyes on to a huge win over Penn State! Whoo hoo!
While watching the game, I noticed B was (again) chewing /biting a toy - he has been doing this a lot lately. Since he has also been drooling like crazy, I have been trying to look/feel for new teeth - and on Saturday night I felt one! Braden cut his first molar. I have a feeling that may have had something to do with his temperature on Friday night . . . when he was teething before he sometimes ran a temp too.
Tonight we attended a baby shower at the park for the sweet baby girl of family friends. Braden loved swinging with Billy on the big swings. . .
Now we're onto a new week (yes, I know that Sunday is when the new week begins, but it always seems like Monday is the beginning of the week to me) - and we're counting down until Braden's 1st birthday on Saturday! (Where did the year go?!) We're gearing up for his b-day bash on Sunday . . . pray for nice weather so we can have it in our backyard.:)
Finally - some pics that were on my camera:
Braden loves to sit in his toy/book baskets. He got stuck and had a hard time getting out of this one!

No comments:
Post a Comment