Remember a few weeks ago when I said the quote, "the days go slowly but the weeks go quickly" was true? It seems that lately even the days are going quickly now too! We've really settled into a routine, and the day is over before I know it.
I don't think I've mentioned it on the blog, but about a month ago we started (again) working on potty training. I know we're a little behind (he's 3 1/2), but he just wasn't ready when we tried last summer (and I was so sick in my first trimester) that it just didn't happen. Sooo - instead of potty training while pregnant, we're doing it with a newborn in the house. At first it was pretty rough (my child is not one who "got it" in just a few days). But now he's doing well. So well, in fact, that our daycare provider sent home all his pull ups and and is even having him go down for naps in undies. Here at home we are still using up diapers and pull ups for most naps and for night time, and usually have him wear a pull up if we are leaving the house for a longer period of time. But we are on the way! Yay!
Anyway, now that the potty "training" is mostly accomplished, instead of focusing on trips to the bathroom, we are having more fun around here. We're able to do fun things like go to story time at the library, on walks, and just enjoy playing outside on these beautiful warm spring days. B is still going to daycare a couple of days a week, but now I am finding that I miss him when he's gone (as opposed to feeling like l am getting a "break."). It is still nice for him to go and get to play with his buddies, and nice for me to spend one on one time with E, or to do things that are more challenging with two kiddos in tow - such as appointments. Braden has really adjusted well to his role as big brother, and is learning to be patient when it is Elise's "turn" for attention. He's also started being more of a helper sometimes. He loves when he is allowed to help hold her bottle.
Last week there was a little circus at the fairgrounds. A friend gave it good reviews, and offered us free tickets, so Billy, Braden, & I took in the show. It was fun to spend some time with just Braden, and he loved both the circus and having mommy and daddy's undivided attention (although he was concerned about where Elise was multiple times during the evening).
Braden was pretty enamored with the various acts -- his favorites were the lions, motorcycles, and the elephants.
Sunday we celebrated Mother's Day - my first Mother's Day as a mommy to two! At church that morning we participated in child dedication, dedicating both Braden and Elise (when Braden was a baby Billy was working weekends, and we just had never dedicated him). It was kind of special to dedicate them together, and we were happy to have some family members and friends join us at Parkview for the service.

After church we hosted a meal for our families in honor of child dedication and Mother's Day. We tried to snap a family picture (since we were all dressed up and somewhat coordinated), but Braden was not interested (actually he was just really interested in riding his bike). . .
. . . so we settled for a picture with just Elise!
We also finally got around to taking a 4 generation picture with Elise (my grandma, mom, sister, Elise, and I).
This post is turning into a marathon, but like I said, even the days go quickly -- so while I have a chance to update I am going to (I've already stopped and started this several times today). . .
On Monday the weather was gorgeous, and felt more like July than May. We went on a longer walk (B rode his trike), and when we got home Elise was sleeping and it was HOT so B and I got out the sprinkler. He had a great time!
The evenings have been lovely as well . . . we've settled into a routine in which we play outside with Daddy when he gets home around 4, then have supper, then often head out again to go on a walk or to the playground. Braden can't get enough of the outdoors. I have started letting him play by himself in the backyard for short amounts of time - he does a great job staying in the backyard and entertaining himself. I keep the windows open and can usually hear him talking to himself as he plays. :)
One of B's favorite outside activities is playing baseball. He loves to hit the ball off the t, and gets frustrated when he doesn't hit it "high in the sky."
He's currently hitting both right and left handed, so we'll see what happens . . .
I shot this short video the other night -- my favorite part is his little fanny wiggle as he winds up to bat. ;)
Elise continues to be easy going, and seems to like being outside too.
Little Miss is 11 weeks old today, and thinks she is big stuff. She has always preferred to be held sitting up rather than lying down, and recently she has been trying to sit up in her bouncy seat. Sooo, I broke out the bumbo. Braden never cared for it, but Elise loves it. She's still a little small for it, but she adores sitting upright in it.
Oh - I forgot to report on her growth at her 2 month appt. (I like to record that info here on the blog so that I can refer back to it when I fill out baby books!) Elise weighed exactly 11 pounds (at 9 weeks); Braden was 11 pounds 13 oz at 10.5 weeks), and she was in the 65th percentile for weight. She was 23 inches, which put her in the 80th percentile for length.
Elise - 11 weeks, 5-18-12
It's hard to tell, but in the picture below she is trying to sit up in her carseat as we are enjoying the sunny day on the patio and watching Braden "mow" the lawn.
B is getting a little too tall for his mower, but still enjoys it. Remember when he first got it? (It's worth it to click on the link and see).





No comments:
Post a Comment