The holiday whirlwind is here . . . I had hopes of being a "better blogger" in November, but as you can see, only ended up posting once. I also noticed that my November photo file has a whopping 11 pictures in it (most months I average around 200). So - I am not sure if it is the busy-ness of the season, the busy-ness of living with a 3 year old who is constantly on the go, or the tired-ness of being 27 weeks pregnant (or a combination of the above) - but obviously blogging has taken a back seat for now.
I do want to keep the blog semi-updated, though, as we enjoy using this space as an online memory books of sorts - so I'm going to back up and begin with Thanksgiving.
We have so much to be thankful for . . . wonderful families who live nearby, good friends, secure jobs, a warm home, and a healthy growing family. I'll admit, this year we've been focusing on some things we're wanting and hoping for and so it was extra nice to put all of that aside and focus on those things for which we give thanks.
We celebrated on Thanksgiving Day with the extended Miller family, then enjoyed a second family gathering at the Hartsock's on Sunday. It was good to spend time with both families (and of course have two yummy meals too!).
This time of year is one of many traditions, which I love. The Miller women have a tradition of creating a Christmas craft after Thanksgiving dinner. This year we made adorable bowling pin snowmen! (not sure what's up with the wonky coloring of the pictures)
We also peruse the ads in preparation for Black Friday shopping trips! (Although, it must be noted, this is the first year in 15+(?) years that I did not take part in early morning shopping. I have been so tired, and knew I also wanted to be home to watch the IA/NE football game at 11:00 am. Unfortunately, I ended up being very disappointed in my choice to stay home (especially since IA forgot to show up to the game) and was sad to have missed out on some good deals. I did do a little online shopping though.)
It's also typically traditional for us to put up our Christmas tree and decor Thanksgiving weekend. Braden was very interested in the process of assembling our tree this year, and is thrilled about the "big big tree in the house."
My parents have a tradition in which they purchase an ornament that represents some special event that took place each year (vacation destination, birth of a child, etc.). When Billy and I got married, I decided to adopt that tradition too, but instead of purchasing an ornament that is an object, we use silver photo frame ornaments and select a picture representing a significant event. This year we didn't go on a vacation (unless you count an overnight trip to Adventureland in Des Moines - ha!) in part due to the fact that I was feeling lousy this summer and we were busy listing our house. I would have loved to be able to put a picture of a new house in this year's ornament -- but really we have something better: an ultra sound photo of Baby Girl!
Maybe next year we'll be need to get two frames - one for our daughter's first Christmas ornament (check out B's here) and (crossing our fingers) a new house too. We've decided to keep our house on the market through winter in hopes of selling sooner rather than later . . . maybe more on that another day.
Here's last year's ornament from B's (and my!) first Chicago Cubs game. :)
I know this post is getting a little long, (hey, while I am actually blogging I am going to roll with it :) but there is one more holiday tradition that we've partaken in this season - decorating cut out sugar cookies!
Braden was very interested in this tradition - interested in eating it, that is!
Tonight mom, Allie, Grandma Boese, Braden, and I frosted cookies together.
Though a certain little helper definitely did more eating (or asking to eat) than frosting, he did get into helping add sprinkles to the cookies.
(which requires so much concentration that one must stick out his tongue) :)
I can hardly believe that December has not only arrived, but is flying by! I am hoping that I will keep the camera out and will be better about documenting all that is taking place these days.

No comments:
Post a Comment