Since Easter is tomorrow, we finally got around to dyeing our eggs this morning. I typically avoid the store-bought dyeing kits and use tried and true food coloring/vinegar, but for some reason this year I grabbed a kit that I thought looked fun and perhaps more toddler friendly. It involved using a dropper to drop dots of dye on the eggs, then putting them in a plastic bag to rub the dye onto the egg creating a "tye dye" effect.
It worked well and was relatively mess free and we achieved brightly colored eggs rather quickly, but I think next year we'll go back to the traditional dipping method . . . especially after I read the directions and realized that when refrigerated, the dye will become wet again and can cause stains - yikes.
Since I did not want to mess with stains that would result from the dye getting damp in the fridge, we displayed our creations on the windowsill. We won't be able to eat 'em, but that's ok. It's more about the fun of dyeing the eggs than eating the eggs . . . and Billy did get to eat one that had a cracked shell.
They look kinda cute all in a row . . .
This evening we were in Iowa City for supper, and needed something sweet to end our evening. Since we were on the West side of town, we hit up Dane's the first time this ice cream season.
Look who's big enough for his very own cone! (Accompanied by his very own car. Of course.)
Yummmmmmm! (And yes, we had a puddle of melted ice cream to clean up when we got home - but Braden did manage to contain the mess to the front of his hoodie, so it was an easy job that was so worth the pleasure it gave him to have his very own cone.)
No comments:
Post a Comment