11.28.2010

snowy candles, somersaults, and sparkling lights

How is it that a four day weekend has flown by just as quickly as a regular old two day weekend?

On Thursday we ate our Thanksgiving feast with the extended Miller family at my parents' house.  Sadly, I didn't remember to grab the camera to document the yummy food, but did snap a few pictures of  our traditional Christmas craft session after dinner.  

This year we made "snowy" candles with epsom salt and modge podge.  It was decided that it would be great fun to embellish any number of items with the modge podge/epsom salt treatment - and it is super easy to do . . .

first  - gather candles - any color, new or old
next - paint the candle with modge podge (and be sure to say "modge podge" as many times as you can while using it, because it rolls off the tongue and is fun to say - especially with an english accent!)
third - roll the modge podge coated candle in the epsom salt to add some sparkle
 and finally, enjoy the beautiful "snowy" candles!
 ooooh - ahhhh!

My little pilgrim, who started out watching football with the guys, joined the craft clan after injuring his eye (apparently football watching is much more dangerous than crafting) - and insisted that just holding the ice pack was good enough and certainly made his eye feel better.  This picture is really to document his festive holiday vest - a hand-me-down from a friend.  Though a little goofy, B loved pointing out the turkey, pumpkin, and hats on it. 
 

More crafting!  Our second craft was much more challenging and involved sewing skills.  Those who chose to accept the challenge created cute little Christmas trees made from stuffed yo-yos.  Didn't get a pic of the finished product.

Friday was a whirlwind of traditional early morning shopping (though not quite as early, since I discovered I could order doorbusters online with free shipping on Thursday night online - yippee!), and a quick trip to Des Moines to give hugs to a dear friend at her dad's funeral.

Saturday was blissfully lazy - lots of napping in the Hartsock house.  We won't even mention the Hawkeye game that was viewed - blech!!  On a happy note, that evening we put up the tree!  Braden was very excited about the new additions to our decor, and was happy to "help."


But, mommy's little helper soon became daddy's little sidekick, playing x-box in the family room, and learning to somersault! Billy called for me to come quick, and I was able to document (kind of) B's newest accomplishment. 



Today the Hartsock Thanksgiving was canceled due to illness (darn that flu - feel better everyone!), so we did a little shopping instead.  I am so bummed that I haven't gotten to cross much off my shopping list, and instead of working on my list tomorrow on my vacation day, I get to spend it at jury duty. :( I'm crossing my fingers that I won't get picked (and so is my mom and several of my coworkers, who are also in this jury pool).

I suppose missing out on a vacation day isn't the worst thing in the world (although you have to admit, it's pretty cruddy).  For now I'll focus on a few of my favorite things, including sparkling lights on Christmas trees, and little boys in fuzzy footie jammies who find sparkling lights to be magical too.


1 comment:

Kim said...

LOVE Brayden's vest!!! Sounds like you had a great break even if it did go quickly.