10.04.2009

what a weekend!

We've had a blast celebrating Braden's first birthday this weekend! (It's too late, and I am too tired to upload party pictures tonight, but I'll post some soon.)

Braden turned one (wow, he is really ONE already!) on Saturday. Billy was able to take the day off, and we had planned to spend the day together as a family. We got tickets to the Iowa game from a generous friend, and were all set to take B to see his first Hawkeye game! . . . but then it ended up being cold and drizzly, so we decided perhaps that was not the best way to celebrate a one-year-old's b-day (although we did see other small children there, and I think B would have loved to check out all of the action . . . it was just too cold for him to be out that long). Next year we'll give it a try!

Soooo plan B was to hang out as a family and have Braden open his gifts from Mommy & Daddy, then to meet Grandma & Grandpa H. for breakfast. Braden got to spend the day with Grandma while Billy and I took in the Iowa game (once I let go of my mommy guilt for not spending every minute of B's b-day with him, it was actually sort of like going on a date! fun! . . . And while the Hawks didn't play so great, they still won and we had a great time at Kinnick - Billy even made it on espn!). THEN we ended up going out for supper with Grandma & Grandpa M. and Auntie Allie to celebrate B and Grandpa Ed's birthdays. So even though our plans were altered, I am sure Braden had a great day with many of his favorite people. :)

Today was the big birthday bash . . . we had the Hartsock and Miller relatives over for a party at our house. Thankfully the weather cooperated (for the most part), and the sun was shining, so we were able to utilize our backyard to host everyone during the meal (and we're also thankful that our guests were all gracious enough to brave the slightly chilly weather for a while). Braden (again) LOVED digging into his cake - he's not shy about food! - and was interested in his gifts (especially the cards and paper envelopes) . . . I think by Christmas he'll have a better understanding of what presents are. ;) He had a great time playing with his new toys while Billy and I cleaned up - and we decided that we need to find him a bigger place to store his toys!

It was a great party, and we were thrilled to be able to have our families join us to celebrate Braden's first year. Family is so important to us, and we are so lucky to have ours (most of them, anyway) right here near us - and to have them be such a big a part of Braden's life. I loved growing up near my grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins, and have wonderful memories of family gatherings . . . and I am so glad that Braden will get to experience that too, at least for now (no, we are not planning on moving!).

THANKS to our families for coming today - and for the role you have played in Braden's life so far. We love you!


1 comment:

Jen said...

I thought that was Billy! and that is the cutest ruined cake pic evah!!

jEN