11.07.2008

Thoughts on parenting (so far!)

Warning - this post is not the typical here-is-what-we-have-been-up-to/check-out-these-cute-pictures  post . . . for some reason I am in a reflective mood today . . .


I knew that becoming a parent would be a big responsibility . . . I am not one of those people who just wanted to have a cute little baby and did not consider 1) that baby will grow up to be a toddler, child, teenager (yikes!), young adult . . .  2) everything (read responsibility)  that comes with the package . . . (But for now, isn't it an adorable, precious package?)





I also knew that I/we would have a LOT to learn about parenting - and learn we have.  

Here are a few things I (/we - but I guess I can't totally speak for Billy on all of these) have learned so far on this journey of parenthood that we've only just begun (in no particular order):

• unconditional love - we love Braden so much - even in the wee hours of the night when he decides it's playtime and wants to be awake (with our company, of course) or is fussy after his late feeding and cannot be comforted (fortunately neither of these events occurs very often at our house, but sure did last night . . . and it just kills me when we can't figure out what - if anything - is bothering him) . . . we love him just as much when he is interrupting our nightly sleep  (and believe me, both Billy and I LOVE our sleep) as when he is being so darn cute/sweet/well behaved during acceptable waking hours

• call your mom with questions! moms (and dads) are good at helping . . . and so are friends (it takes a village!) - ask lots of questions - I've gotten some great tips/reassurance/advice - thank you!!
(lately I have been concerned about breast vs. bottle feeding, infant chiropractic care, and immunizations - anyone want to comment on any of those things?)

• sometimes you just have to follow your instincts - no book or website (or even your mom) knows your child like you do (that is one bit of advice I got by asking questions) - and it is true

• others won't always agree with your parenting choices, and that is ok - just be sure you know why you make those choices and that you are comfortable with them. . .  and it is also ok to change your mind about your choices as you learn

• we have a lot MORE to learn, and this will continue for a long time - say the next 18+ years! but (another fortunate thing for us), Braden is not only our child, but a child of God that we are just lucky enough to get to spend time with - so we just need to trust Him to help us on this journey - which is so reassuring, because sometimes all of this makes my head spin!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this particular blog. This gives me an opportunity read what it's like to be a parent for the first time. And not having a child yet, I'm curious about these first hand experiences at parenting. Thanks for sharing.

scrappin Sheila said...

You've gained some great insights as a new parent!!

As for infant chiropractic care, my sister, Kendra, had great results(a 10 lb. 15 oz. boy inside her small frame). I would HIGHLY suggest Dr. Chris Grier at Bright Futures in Kalona as he has great experience in chiropractic with children. I think he is great for the whole family (656-2888). I did have my boys immunized.

Alex had asthma symptoms to the point of needing steroids and albuterol quite frequently when he was younger. When he was evaluated at his first chiropractic appointment, the results were the area that innervated the diaphram was off. Go figure. Anyway...It's fun reading your blog. Take care!!